« Home | Pressure What Pressure? » | Sharing History » | The Gary Mitchell Tragedy » | Why Northern Ireland was Never Balkanised » | Why Not an Open Society » 

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 

If I were an Irish Nationalist

If I Were an Irish Nationalist.....
I've been reading about the "One Small Step" campaign which has the laudable aim of breaking down the barriers between the two communities in Northern Ireland and increasing the understanding of each other's tradition and culture.

I think it is important to recognise and acknowledge differences, rather than sweeping them under the carpet in an attempt to promote some kind of artificial peace and understanding. But it is also an instructive exercise to put your self in the shoes of your counterpart on the "other side" and attempt to analyse the Northern Ireland "problem"from a different perspective to your own. In that spirit, I am today going to change "sides" and become an Irish nationalist, commited to the unification of the two parts of the island.

First of all, when I speak about "Unification", what do I really mean?

A United Ireland of territory or people? Without a unity existing amongst a big majority of the people of NORTHERN Ireland( never mind the rest of the island), then the removal of the border would indeed produce technically a United Ireland, but it would be one which had very little chance of functioning as a modern, democratic state.

OK, so unity of the people has got to be the ultimate goal. That being the case, there are a host of rather difficult questions that I need to ask myself.

How realistic is my goal? At the minute, not very. Around 30% of the electorate are presently voting for parties who believe in Irish unity. That leaves 70% who are either, active Unionists, or those who are content/apathetic with the present status quo and no longer vote. A majority of the latter group have to be shown that a change in N. Ireland's constitutional status would be to their material benefit, whilst a sufficient number of Unionist would have to be convinced that their economic well-being AND national identity would be better served within a United Ireland than the United Kingdom.

Neither task will be achieved overnight, am I prepared to wait 10,20,50 years for my target to be achieved gradually in an organic manner?

In order to convince Unionists of my sincerity, how far would I compromise my definition of "Irishness"? The new state would no longer have one view of Ireland's turbulent history with Britain, or a single cultural identity. Along with other more recent immigrants, the Ulster-Scots do not share a common view of history, emblems or national culture with myself. Am I prepared to allow their often diametrically opposing views and national identity have equal standing alongside my own? In a nutshell, am I prepared to accept that the majority of people I need to persuade, just do not see themselves as the same "type of Irish" as I do?

Would I be prepared to see a new political system on the island? A federal solution perhaps, with a great deal of autonomy for North-East Ulster? How would I view a closer constitutional and political links with the UK? And would I be prepared to consider re(?)joining the Commonwealth?

On a more practical level,what would I be prepared to sacrifice economically to achieve Unity? A future United Ireland could not support the Northern Ireland economy as it is presently constituted. For example, if I worked (as a large % of the N.Ireland population does) in the public sector, would I be prepared to sacrifice my job for "unification", for the promise of a better long-term economic future? And how would I convince the apathetic/comfort sector of the electorate of the economic benefits of cutting the link with Britain?

In the end, it comes down to the fact whether I believe I have to sell my concept of the future or simply have it enforced. If it's the latter option, then it's a simple question of working above the heads of the people who are opposed to a united Ireland, talking at and about, rather than to them and continuing to chip away at their national identity and culture. It's quite possible at some time in the future that I'll achieve my goal this way, but it will only be a "United Ireland" in theory, not practice.

If I decide to follow the much more difficult persuasion path, then I should be looking to honestly answer the questions I've posed above. I should be reassessing my political beliefs and getting ready to sacrifice a few sacred cows for the sake of achieving a real unity, that is to say a lasting one of the vast majority of the people.
6:00 PM | Permalink | links to this post

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates